The Berean PRC hosted its annual conference of Friday, May 4. We met in the comfortable Bantayog Center in metro Manila once again.
Rev. Smit and Rev. Kleyn were the speakers, each giving 2 speeches. Rev. Smit spoke on Family Worship and Infant Baptism. Rev. Kleyn spoke on Reformed Corporate Worship and The Sovereignty of God Over Evils. The speeches were well received and there were many good questions during the question hour at the end of the day.
Here are a few of the questions that were asked:
- Is it right to use classical guitar as accompaniment for Hymnal or Psalter songs?
- We said that the things included in the worship service are only the things that are being commanded by God in the Word of God. This implies then that it is not bad to use several instruments in the worship service as it’s been commanded by God, for example, in Psalm 150:1-6.
- Preaching of the Word is central and significant and sealed in the sacraments, but how can this be possible in every Lord’s Day since sacrament observance is once a month?
- The Biblical account of those who are baptized by John the Baptist are those who respond to his preaching. Why baptize infants who are not able to understand the gospel?
- There is the account of the Bible which says "Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated." When God says "Esau I hate" does God exclude him as sanctified covenant seed?
- How can a Christian determine whether the afflictions come from the devil or God?
Rev. Smit's speech on Family Worship
There were about 60 attendees, including members of the Berean PRC, the First Reformed Church in Bulacan, and the Christian Faith Ministries in Batasan Hills. There were also many young people and visitors, some old and some new.
The audience, listening and singing some Psalter numbers
(click on the pictures for a better view)
Some of the young men who attended
All set up and ready to go
The early morning rush
Happy with their purchases
(Text received from an attendee after the conference)
"I am very thankful to God for having successfully attended the conference. I was so blessed with the lecture that you and Rev. Smit delivered. The lecture is really the pure message of God that enlightens the mind and strengthens the faith of the elect. God bless you."